Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Devil Wore Blue

So in my new job I essentially get paid to read the news all day long….I’m responsible for other stuff too but mainly it’s about reading. Specifically, I get paid to read news and coverage on Cloud Computing – at times tedious and at times extremely interesting. One thing I’ve come to learn is that in the world of IT, social media is one of the fastest ways to find out about software problems, outages and hacks and the fastest of all social media outlets in this regard is Twitter.

I’ve never bought into Twitter, in fact I did and still do fundamentally disagree with it as there really is such a thing as over-sharing and quite frankly, why do people think that other people care that they’re going for lunch now/they’re back from lunch and had a pastrami sandwich/they’re now in a food coma at their desk but are stoked about Friday’s night concert/blah, blah, blah, blah…… And while I disagree with it I do recognize its benefits – it’s a fantastic and free way to promote products/issues/events/across-North-America-road-trips (a la Alex and Luke :)) and in the world of IT it is a valuable resource for finding out about customer issues before they get through to a helpdesk and in the world of PR it allows you to get on top of an issue (hopefully) before it blows up. So this is all to say, I’ve had to sign up for Twitter and now have a bloody account. I only follow people for work – mainly IT gurus and wanna-be gurus and of course, Alex and Luke – who, by the way, accepted our invitation to stay with us if they find themselves in the Seattle area (I hope they do!) and who will be on CityTV in TO!

Anyways, I keep reminding myself that I’m not really on twitter, I’m just obliged to stalk people online for my job. And that’s ok.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment