So today marks the beginning of the end. I’m 29 years old today. I find myself both sad and honestly, a little scared of what it means to be turning 30 in a year. I freaked out on my 15th birthday because I was half way to 30 and at the time 30 meant you were old. Well, I’m certainly not getting any younger but I still don’t feel like a grown up either. I still feel like that 15 year old but with an additional 14 years of experience under my belt. In effort to get myself on track for the next decade, I came up with a list of things to do before I’m 30 which turned out to be harder than I thought it would as I wanted the list to be more than tangible just lofty ideals. Drum roll….
In no particular order:
* Lose 30lbs and stick to it
* Print off photos & create albums from the last several years
* Stay in better touch with friends and family
* Go home for a visit other than Christmas
* Work towards getting my career on track
* Moisturize daily – I never do this and my skin hates me for it
* Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day – I don’t like water, its weird, I know
* Wear the skirts and dresses I own instead staring at them in the closet
* Go for walks after dinner
* Learn how to drive a standard/stick-shift car
* Use the cookbooks and food magazines we already have
* Research our new posting like crazy, wherever that may be
* Call my Nanny more often
* Buy a used sewing machine and learn how to use it
* Get back to jewelry making and my little Etsy shop
* Read more books – both the light fluffy stuff and more topical politico stuff
* Go for a walk/hike in one of Washington’s rainforests
* Visit the Oregon Vortex because I like weird stuff like this
* Go to a ballet
* Frame at least 1 of the 2 giant antique posters we bought in Brussels
* Hopefully find and commit to upholstery for our wingback – I’m cursed with my mother’s fabric/upholstery indecisiveness!
* Learn how to reupholster a wingback chair!
* Bake Jamie Oliver’s Chocolate-Beer Bread Pudding and Joy the Baker’s Peanut Butter and Bacon Cookies (this will defeat the 30 lbs lose, but perhaps they can be a reward? Hmmmm…)
* Start to acquire my ‘fancy’ tableware
* Go to the gym or do a workout dvd weekly
* Treat myself to a manicure, pedicure and massage
* Throw away clothes I haven’t worn in 4 years
* Give sushi one more chance – we’re already at 3-strikes-you’re-out, but a fourth attempt won’t kill me
* Get through my permanent residency application process without having a nervous breakdown from a) the cost, b) the amount of repetitive paperwork, c) the inevitable losing of paperwork in the system, d) all of the above – I’m not worried about the interview, we’re married for real, point finale.
* Find several missing items that have gone awol since my move from Vancouver
So here’s to 29! 365 days and counting till the next major milestone.
PS ~ A very Happy Birthday to my birthday twins Erin and Mark!